Thursday, November 8, 2007

babe-fest

Tonight on PBS they broadcast three documentaries in a row: first, Cary Grant: Leading Man, followed by William Holden: The Golden Boy, and finally Steve McQueen: On the Edge. When I caught wind of this programming, I quickly dubbed it a "babe-fest" and set about making plans to watch all three. Except for a brief break at the end of Cary Grant: Leading Man, I succeeded. It was actually pretty great to see all the scenes from old films that these awesome babes had starred in. The documentaries were obvioiusly from the 80s and so less sensational than what you might find on an E True Hollywood Story or some such. It's strange to think that the 80s were actually a more innocent time than the present, even though that's sort of a no duh. Perhaps it's because I grew up in the 80s and had older, very old-fashioned parents who were amazed at the time how much the world had changed from the 50s.


Anyways, it makes me want to watch Sunset Boulevard and Bullitt and Bringing Up Baby all over again. Maybe some others also...Also, since McQueen starred in The Getaway, it reminded me how much a fan of Jim Thompson's crime fiction I used to count myself. These days, presently, seem actually the perfect time to revisit my appreciation of Jim Thompson. Thanks PBS. It really is another case of PB Yess!

No comments: