Sunday, November 18, 2007

a day in new york

Today I woke up on an L-shaped couch sometime in the early afternoon and was presented with a nice glass of strong tea with a bit of milk and maybe some sugar. I went and brushed my teeth and rushed back to enjoy the tea.

I bundled up, borrowed an umbrella, and set out with my compadres in search of brunch. The place we wanted to go, called Maggie Brown's, was delightful-looking and smelling but had a forty-five minute wait. So, we decided to search on for brunch. (This is all taking place in Fort Greene, Brooklyn by the way.) Since I remembered, from back in tha day when I used to live in new york, that there are places to eat brunch on Lafayette street, that's where we headed until we happened upon a place called Olea. very pleasant inside. I enjoyed my basic breakfast and good, strong black coffee as well as the light coming in from the gray-lit foliage fringed outside. my fellow diners said that they too enjoyed their dishes.

After this and a false start, I made it to Union Square in Manhattan and began walking down University Place until I reached Washington Square park. I noticed every bit so keenly on a street I used to count as workaday. strolling by Washington Mews. and then at dusk standing in the center of washington square and looking upward at the towers, the spires, I was astounded by how much it seemed to move me.

I breezed down Thompson street until I hit Houston and then cut up it because I wanted to have a look at the marquee of the Angelika Film Center. Margot at the Wedding is playing. maybe I'll go and see it.

I walked down Broadway, braved the crowds, past Prince, Spring, Broome, Grand and then I cut east past Lafayette and to Mulberry then further east still to the L.ower E.ast S.ide (this manner of showing off abbreviations has suddenly become very attractive to me tho I have no idea quite why)

I wanted to see where Cake Shop the newish music venue, record shop, bar was because Michael Hurley was playing there tonight and I needed to know where to go. I succeeded in scoping out the place but I had time to kill so walked up Avenue A and got a slice at Two Boots. Then my friend Sarah called right at the same time as my old college friend David called. When it rains it pours, right?

So, after a brief detour while Sarah picked something up that she needed for school, I met David at the subway entrance. David and I said good-bye to Sarah and went for tapas. I dragged him down to the L.E.S. tho he did not want to go. We drank several drinks and reminisced, caught up, shot the shit. Then he said good-bye and I went in to watch the show. It was wonderful.

Now I am back in Fort Greene and very tired. typing all of this out seemed like a more exciting idea when I began. Goodnight.

No comments: