Tuesday, November 6, 2007

whether or not

The patterns of weather here in San Francisco are so different from anything I've ever known having grown up in Pennsylvania and South Carolina, and having lived, as an, ahem, adult, in Chicago and New York. It seems that Indian Summer carries on forever. It's the first week in November and tomorrow I know it will be warm enough for at least part of the afternoon, in one part of these microclimatized neighborhoods to wear just a t-shirt and to take a long bike ride. To do so in most other climates at this time of year, any time of day, would mean a scarf and a jacket and gloves and all the cold weather accoutrement. I guess, to be realistic, it never gets as cold as it does in those more easterly cities, more four seasons oriented places. It won't freeze here in the city. It won't freeze and it won't burn. The ground may open up wide from a gigantic "big one" earthquake, but a blizzard is out of the question. I am still, after over two years of living here, amazed at this. So amazed in fact that I have no pearls of pithy wisdom or anything resembling it. I have only the difference between what I have known and what is. And I suppose that's really all I ever have anyway. Goodnight.

No comments: