Sunday, November 11, 2007

new york, california, and my mom

I'm about to take a trip to nyc and I haven't been there since the end of July 2005 when I pulled out from the rent-a-car place in midtown, loaded up the chevy malibu with stuff emptied from the storage space in chesea and sailed up the west side highway and over the george washington bridge and drove to san francisco.

I've thought about the drive out to california many times since. It seems like a dream - for real.

So, now I'm going to visit new york after all of this time and I'm so nervous and excited that it's making my head start to turn faster again. Visions proceed now. textures and ideas agile sound angles.

I had this phone fight with my mother tonight. The details of it are too ridiculous to repeat, but at one point I said, "I can't talk to you because you never let me finish a sentence. It's like you finish the thought aloud, but it isn't my thought you're finishing and it's not what I mean to say at all, so that makes it impossible to talk to you." And she said, "Well, that's your mother, that's just the way I am." And her saying that somehow really calmed me down and made me consider the situation far less dramatically.

No comments: