Tuesday, November 20, 2007

movies

I was at a loss for what to do with this rainy day, so I decided I would go to the Angelika Film Center and see the new Noah Baumbach picture, Margot at the Wedding. I set out from Fort Greene and made it halfway to the subway when I realized I had forgotten to take a crucial pill and so was forced to turn back. This interfered with my movie timing, but not severely since the film in question is playing every hour - in two different theaters. I filled the gap with shoe browsing, as I once filled much of my time I now remember/realize, on Broadway.

I decided a slice was in order, again, of course. So, I went to Pomodoro's on Spring St. There's a place called Pasta Pomodoro in SF, but it's totally different and only for yuppies or wanna-be yuppies. On the way back up to the Angelika, I walked on Crosby St. past the old freight entrance to Talas and that amazing taxi driver Pakistani restaurant and the Housing Works Used Book Store . There are a few more shops and maybe another gallery or so lining Crosby but it was so much the same that I got emotional - again.

Even going to the Angelika Film Center to see a movie made me a little emotional since I used to go there alot to see the arty (if not art) films to which I was (am) so partial. So, Margot at the Wedding: it's more subtle I think than The Squid and the Whale. Maybe that's a way of saying not as strong and it's true...I remember being moved to tears by that one and this one...well, a few chuckles, and some brow furrowing were it. I really love Jennifer Jason Leigh (the director's wife), so I enjoyed it just for her. Nicole Kidman does a great acting job, as per usual, but doesn't entirely escape being annoying, being Nicole Kidman, being such a big movie star for this smaller film. And Jack Black is actually not annoying in this movie. Go figure. He's actually good. I winced and cringed all through The School of Rock, which most people I know seemed to at least think was an ok movie.


After the movie, I walked over the Cafe Rakka on 1st Ave. and St. Marks and had a falafel and hummus sandwich. it was very savory and tasty, but, alas, the balls were smaller than I remember and the portion of hummus managed to stay within the confines of the pita - also less than I remember. Maybe I got a skimper for a sandwich preparer.

After that I started walking uptown. up and up and up I went until I reached Times Square. following a brief interlude in Bryant Park where they've set up a little skating rink surrounded by little shop kiosks like how they do in Union Sq. So, what does a girl like me do in Times Square? Go to see a movie of course! So, for the second time today I seated myself in darkness and did what amounts to meditation for me - I watched a movie. I saw the Coen brothers new one called No Country for Old Men. It was good. I didn't realize it was based on something written by Cormac McCarthy until the end, but it definitely smacks of his style. which I like. And Javier Bardem, who I usually think is totally sexy, is actually really creepy and scary in it while Josh Brolin, who never seems to be in many movies that I watch, is totally sexy in it.


Now, I'm back in Fort Greene. It's late. I'm tired. I think there might be a big party across the way, right beside the Talmudic academy, because I can hear all this bass just pounding - boom boom boom boom boom - very rapidly. Tomorrow night I'll move to Williamsburg and spend another whole week in nyc. oy vey.

No comments: